Making super cute and delectable dog treats for your fur companion at home can be fun and reassuring. Just think about it; this way, you are in control of the ingredients, flavors, and presentations. Since you know your fur baby the best, you can whip up dog-friendly muffins and treats that suit your pet’s palate.
Many dog treats, rawhide chews, artificially sweetened treats, animal bones, other high-starch snacks, and human food can jeopardize your puppy’s health. However, you need not fret while offering your dear fur friend homemade bakes prepared by you just for them. So, allow your dog to indulge in the snacks but within limits.
Otherwise, you may see gastrointestinal disturbances like vomits, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in your puppy. A situation like this implicitly warrants a vet visit, so take your puppy to the vet’s clinic for examination and treatment. You might not need to worry much about the finances involved if you have purchased pet health insurance already.
However, if you haven’t bought a policy, consider exploring the best cheap pet insurance policies available online. Meanwhile, read this article to learn three dog treat recipes to cook something interesting for your puppy this weekend.
1. Honey treats
Ingredients – 1.25 cups rice flour, 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰ F.
- Take a buttered sheet and line it on the pan.
- Add eggs, veg oil, and honey in a bowl.
- Add the rice flour into the same bowl and mix the contents well.
- Flour a surface and roll out the dough.
- Make sure the flattened dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Take a cookie cutter and cut out cookies from the flattened dough.
- Place them on the buttered sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 mins in the oven (until they turn golden brown).
- Take out the pan and cool the cookies before serving.
A quick tip: You can try a variation by using ½ cup creamy peanut butter instead of honey to make peanut butter treats.
2. Vegan pumpkin treats
Ingredients – 1 cup pumpkin puree, ½ cup peanut butter, 2 cups wheat flour, flax meal, ½ cup oat flour, a pinch of cinnamon powder, 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Roll out the dough.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
- Place them on a buttered baking sheet lined with parchment paper on a pan.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 to 15 mins until they appear nice and crisp.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool them before offering your puppy.
3. Apple carrot treats
Ingredients – 1 cup whole wheat flour (or gluten-free flour), 1 cup carrot puree, ½ cup apple puree, 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a dough.
- Take little balls of dough and roll them out or just press the balls slightly. (Let them be about 1/4 inch thick)
- Place them on the greased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
You can also conceive your recipe by mixing up some of your pet pooch’s fav ingredients. At the same time, don’t add prohibited food items like chocolate and caffeine, even when they can enhance the taste of your poochie’s treat. They can put your canine fur baby at health risk within no time.
Pet health insurance covers a puppy’s medical care during unanticipated health scenarios, but that is not enough reason to be careless about what goes into your puppy’s body. Consider purchasing cheap pet insurance but beware of what you feed your pet at all times.