When you bring your car to the shop for repairs, you’re usually concerned with how much the visit will cost you; after all, they can be quite expensive! However, for car accident victims, their worries extend far past the cost of repairs and also include their medical bills and subsequent lost wages if they are unable to return to work while they recover.
That’s why, if you believe your car accident was caused by the negligence of an auto repair mechanic in Oklahoma City, you need to schedule a consultation with an experienced team of Oklahoma City car accident lawyers as soon as possible.
Vehicle repair shops are here to make your car safer and more reliable, not put you in harm’s way. With the right law firm, you can learn about and have your rights advocated if you believe you were the victim of auto repair shop negligence.
Common Types of Auto Repair Shop Negligence That Leads to Car Accidents
Though countless types of auto repair shop negligence can lead to car accidents, here are the top five most common:
- Engine failure: Your engine is one of the most important components of your vehicle. When it seizes up and stops running, so does your vehicle. If you’re in the middle of a highway or busy road, this can quickly put you in the path of another vehicle. For engine failure to be considered negligence, it must be linked to the failure to drain oil, causing damage to the muffler, or accidentally using the wrong kind of fuel.
- Brake failure: Like your engine, your brakes are an essential part of your car. If they aren’t working due to negligence, such as installing the wrong kind of brakes, failing to replace worn-down brake pads, or incorrect installation, it can make it impossible to come to a stop or get out of harm’s way, which can lead to a serious motor vehicle accident.
- Steering wheel failure: Like your brakes, being able to steer out of harm’s way is critical. So, if your mechanic failed to reconnect power steering lines or used the wrong type of parts, it can lead to a serious accident – and a major personal injury claim.
- Tire failure: Car accidents caused by tire failure can happen in the blink of an eye. Auto repair shops can be held liable for motor vehicle crashes caused by tire failure if they did not put on the correct size wheel or failed to properly attach it.
- General repair failure: Last but not least, your auto mechanic may be held liable for not making general repairs as promised. In some cases, your mechanic may only make it appear that the problem has been fixed, but not actually fix it. Essentially, your mechanic may have just put a band-aid on the issue. This could apply to any type of repair, including those mentioned on this list and beyond.
If you believe your Oklahoma City car accident was caused by one of these reasons, it’s best to reach out to qualified Oklahoma City car accident lawyers as soon as possible! The longer you wait to file a claim, the more likely it is that you’ll lose out on necessary compensation to get by.
Can I Sue My Mechanic for Negligence in Oklahoma City?
This is the most common question clients ask and the answer is yes, you can file a lawsuit against an auto repair mechanic if their negligence led to your car accident. However, the key word here is “if.”
With all personal injury lawsuits, you must prove that the car accident was the direct result of the auto repair shop and/or mechanic’s negligence. It’s important to remember that not all signs of negligence are easy to spot. Just as with the severity of damage to your vehicle after a car accident, sometimes it requires the skill of a personal injury lawyer and accident reconstruction expert to piece together what happened.
In some cases, it may not be your mechanic’s fault, but rather the negligence of the vehicle manufacturer. An example of this would be the manufacturer failing to issue a recall notice. In situations like this, a claim would be filed against the manufacturer and not the auto repair shop.
However, if the manufacturer did issue a recall on a defective auto part but your mechanic knowingly used it anyway, they can be held liable.
Navigating car accident cases isn’t always easy, which is why you need the help of skilled Oklahoma City car accident lawyers.